Last year, we provided the community with an estimated $6 million in donated legal services. Because we call on practicing and retired lawyers to volunteer their time and expertise, financial support for the Clearinghouse is a leveraged investment worth several times more than the actual dollar amount donated.
With legal services funding at an all-time low, and access to justice for the poor more threatened than ever, the Clearinghouse now relies more heavily upon individual, law firm and corporate donations in order to reach the expanding population of nonprofits and homeless individuals in need of free legal services. Last year, demand at our Legal Clinic for the Homeless increased 34% and we expect this trend to continue.
Here is how your gift helps:
- Covers the cost of assisting a nonprofit client with their legal needs.
- Last year, 194 nonprofit clients benefited from the assistance of pro bono attorneys. Our partner firms reported a total of $2.6 million in donated legal services to nonprofit clients.
- Pays for the provision of an educational program on important legal matters for nonprofits.
- Last year, 30 programs were presented for 662 attendees.
- Supports one Access to Justice Fellow in providing pro bono services to a nonprofit organization for 9 months.
- This year, 20 Fellows are serving their community.
- Allows us to operate a biweekly legal clinic at one of our partner shelter locations.
- Last year, 179 pro bono attorneys helped 206 clients at 18 clinics. Our partner firms reported a total of $3.1 million in donated legal services to these homeless and low-income clients.
- Provides funding for all of our programs that benefit nonprofit and homeless clients and keeps our organization running for one week.