On a budget of only $254,000, we provided the community with nearly $6 million in donated legal services last year. In other words, financial support for the Lawyers Clearinghouse is a leveraged investment worth several times more than the actual dollar amount donated.
However, grant funds that comprise a portion of our budget are dwindling, both for us and for the nonprofits that we serve. With legal services funding at an all-time low, and access to justice for the poor more threatened than ever, the Clearinghouse now relies more heavily upon individual, law firm and corporate donations in order to reach the expanding population of nonprofits and homeless individuals in need of free legal services. Last year, demand at our Legal Clinic for the Homeless increased 20% and we expect this trend to continue.
Here is how your gift helps:
- Covers the cost to match a nonprofit client with a pro bono attorney.
- Last year, 89 nonprofit clients benefited from the assistance of pro bono attorneys. Our partner firms reported a total of $2.8 million in donated legal services.
- Pays for the provision of an educational program on important legal matters for nonprofits.
- Last year, 27 programs were presented for 675 attendees.
- Supports one Access to Justice Fellow in providing pro bono services to a nonprofit organization for 9 months.
- This year, 17 Fellows are serving their community.
- Allows us to serve four homeless clients at a legal clinic.
- Last year, 199 clients met with pro bono attorneys at 18 clinics. Our partner firms reported a total of $3.1 million in donated legal services.
- Provides funding for all of our programs that benefit nonprofit and homeless clients and keeps our organization running for two weeks.